Tuesday, January 17, 2017

My Host Family

Hey all!
So I know I just uploaded a post like, 6 seconds ago, but I wanted to talk a little bit about my host family, at least all that I know. I received the email that I would be doing homestay about a day ago, which I am so excited about! If you saw my last blog post, you'll know some of the reasons why I wanted to do homestay so bad. In general, to experience the culture as close as I can, and to be able to try authentic Nagasaki cuisine! I also really want to work on my Japanese, and possibly become fluent. Staying with a host family would pretty much force me to use my Japanese as much as I can, helping me achieve this goal of helping my Japanese. My Japanese isn't too good, as I have only had 1 year of it, but most people in Japan have at least a base knowledge of English from school, so initially I think that will help. I will also have to take Japanese language courses while I am there, so that will help too!
So, my host family. According to the form I received, my host family is a 65-year-old woman named Akiko. She lives about 40 minutes away from the university by bus, and her hobbies include watching Korean dramas and listening to Korean music. She also describes her English as "fair". I'll admit, it is not what I expected, but I am looking forward to meeting her! This will definitely test my terrible sense of direction, having to navigate bus routes, but maybe it will help!
Only one other person (that I know of, only 5 of us have joined our chat group, so it's possible there are many more!) in my group is doing homestay, and she's clear on the other side of town. I am hoping there will be others doing the homestay as well, so maybe I can make friends with people in my group going on the same route as me (or at least similar!).

Well, I think that is all for now.
Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment